Monday, November 24, 2008

My uncle Bill

My uncle Bill passed away on the 12th of November, from complications with Parkinson's disease. He is the one uncle on my mom's side of the family that I did not know very well but I am grateful for the opportunity I had to go to his funeral and learn more about the man that he was. It gave me a new appreciation for my family and our relationships. I realized, once again, that life is short and it is so important that we build strong relationships and memories while we have the chance.


Bill was in the Air force, so he had the military burial. I have never been to a burial like that. It was so powerful and made me feel such pride for the great nation, we have the privilege o be a part of. I am grateful for our forefathers and for the legacy they left for this great country of ours!Here is a picture of my mom and 3 of her sibs a the graveside service. I have to add that my mom and I had my 3 girls with us and they were such angels the whole day! My uncle was buried, close to the cemetery where my dad is buried and we had to follow tradition and visit his site, take pictures and get ice-cream afterwards. (I take pictures to document how my kids change each time we go, not to document the graveside changing):)

2 comments:

Nick and Maddy Winward said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle. I am glad that you were able to go. I love the picture of you and your mom! {I didn't realize that your dad was buried in Utah.}

Teeples Family said...

What a nice tribute to Bill. We were saddened to hear of his passing, and wish that we could have made it to the funeral; Ryan at least.

Your girls are growing up so fast. We wish that we had some family who lived closer, especially at this time of year. But...we are looking forward to your mom's visit at Christmas and for Keira's blessing.

Love you all!